16 August 2011

May Contain Traces of Nuts

On the cab ride from the airport into Edinburgh, I asked the driver if there were any sporting events going on—football, rugby, cricket, whatever. Here's what I learned: in Edinburgh, rugby's king, and everybody's waiting for the World Cup to get underway. Football, or soccer, is for the hooligans down Glasgow way. And the big summer sport? Golf. "We invented it, ya know." I did. He was excited about our being from Atlanta, the home of this year's PGA. Turns out we missed the Fringe Festival by two days.

My flat's just there, the older building:


@ The Whisky Museum. Me: "You're serving me 25 year old single-malt Scotch and you want me to do what? In that bucket? I don't think so."


Oh, I could drink a case of you:


Ooh, ooh, witchery woman:


OMG, they've turned Wisdaughter into a Highland cow:


Yeah, that's the kind of thing we have all over the place here in the U.S.


A daytrip to Dufftown & the family pile. "It's like Jews going to Israel," quoth Wisdoc:


Yes, kids, that's where your ancestors put naughty children, especially the ones who planked their way through world-historical cities:


Wisdaughter, is that you?


Whisky river, take my mind (River Spey, that is):


River Fiddich—yep, that's the one:


Glen Fiddich = The valley of the deer:


After a quick tour and another tasting, it's back to Edinburgh:




Brilliant! Of course, I've always felt you never hear enough lead bagpipe. (h/t to Wisdaughter's shaky hands. No longer in the form of a cow, btw. And yup, I'm in there @ 0:33. The man in black. Look away, look away, look away...)

Any special way to remember Edinburgh?




2 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Man, look at all those bottles of adult beverages.

I suppose the bizarrerie of the last shot makes up for some of my ancestors foisting haggis upon the world.

Jim H. said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say "foisted". I mean, pizza was foisted on the world. And chow mein. But if you want haggis, you gotta' seek it out. Know what I mean? You don't find it on every street corner.